Rangers’ Jeremy Jeffress MLB jerseys

ARLINGTON officially moved into baseball purgatory Saturday.

With the Rangers ready to reinstate the pitcher from the restricted list a day after he was arrested and charged with DWI, Major League Baseball stepped in and blocked the move, apparently to further investigate whether illegal drugs were involved.

According to the arrest warrant obtained by The Dallas Morning News, Jeffress had a blood alcohol content of .115 at the time of the arrest and later was administered a blood test.

Police also found a clear plastic bag with a “green leafy substance believed to be marijuana or a synthetic cannabinoid,” in the glove box of Jeffress’ car, according to the warrant. Jeffress denied the substance was his, according to the report.

That gave MLB sufficient reason to step in.

“We knew all along that once we placed him on the restricted list, it was in MLB’s hands,” Rangers assistant general manager Thad Levine said. “We do not have much say or jurisdiction at this point. They are still fact finding, so there has been no conclusion.”

The fact finding is significant given Jeffress’ history, which includes a pair of minor league suspensions for positive drug tests. While alcohol related arrests do not Wholesale MLB Jerseys
typically fall into the penalty track for the Joint Drug Agreement, the league apparently wants to make sure there was no violation of its drug policy.

That creates a gray area. The minor league violations typically are not treated on the same track with violations under the MLB policy. In the minors, Jeffress was on his last strike before a lifetime ban.

Under the MLB policy, positive tests for marijuana do not result in suspensions.

MLB officials declined to comment on the case Saturday.

“I think MLB is working closely with the union and looking out for what is in the best interests of the player in this case,” Levine said. “This could be a case of all hands on deck to try and help the person.”

During sobriety tests, Jeffress could not keep his balance or stand on one leg, an affidavit said. He also urinated on himself. He was transported to Lew Sterrett, booked and, eventually released on a $500 bond.

Leave a Reply